It’s that exhilarating and nervous time: Only one more Monday rehearsal remains before the March 20 concert! We know so much of the music well, but will everything be ready to put together? We can sing all (well, mostly all) of our pieces effectively now – but sometimes it takes the third time through to accomplish that. Last Monday’s session reminded us dramatically that pieces that we’ve not reviewed in a few weeks can become very stale. There are real challenges in learning a full program without losing the things we’ve learned in early weeks. You’re a fine ensemble and I know you’ll do well. But please keep in mind the following:
- On Monday, we managed to do a complete run-through of our music, until the final pieces. These were the spirituals, and they’ll need particular attention next rehearsal. Please look at the Moses Hogan especially. Listen to one of the YouTube versions and emulate the accuracy/clarity/expression you hear. There are tough rhythms there and we need to make them right.
- We’re still stuck with noses in music. There’s no excuse for that. None. No singer can do the job if eyes are down. It’s a posture thing; it’s a communication thing; it’s an energy thing. Thanks to the many who are doing well here.
- The pieces we’ve had for a shorter time are less internalized. We’ve simply not lived with them long enough to “own” them and feel natural as we sing. You can speed that process by looking at them before Monday, by singing though your part, by listening to other performances. Last rehearsal taught us that many folks haven’t been reviewing the pieces we thought we knew – and we had to relearn. Are you comfortable enough with each piece to make it come alive? Can you make the “pop” music POP?
- Men: You sounded very good on the “Ave Maria,” but there isn’t much time to polish. We’ll sing it for the women on Monday, but we definitely need a “woodshedding” by ourselves. We’ll possibly fit it in at the end of rehearsal, so please be able to stay 15 minutes at the end.
- And, please mark your calendar for the LCS “dress” rehearsal on Saturday, March 19, from 10:00 a.m. – noon at All Saints.
I look forward to a wonderful Monday rehearsal. Sell tickets!